Wednesday 2 May 2012

Fundraising campaign to support African youth climate leaders

Message from Claire Morris: 

Fundraising campaign
I am launching a huge crowdsourced fundraising campaign to support African youth climate leaders to be able to travel and participate at the Earth Summit too. It's come to my attention that European and N. American youth activists and campaigners are MUCH more supported to get their voice heard in the international negotiating arena, than African youth are, and I think it's time for us to begin to equalise at least the access and opportunity for young Africans to defend their future, as I would be able to go to a UN meeting and defend mine. The need is also so much more urgent in the developing world, where crop failure, floods, famine and Climate Change are hitting so hard.


If you can support and promote this fundraising page, I would be so grateful! http://www.indiegogo.com/RioPlusAfrica
We're looking for $20 dollars (~£15) from 200 people in the "Global North" in 2 weeks, to fund Njideka (Nigeria), James (Malawi) and Alpha (Kenya) to attend the Earth Summit.

Youth representative to the UN assembly at the Rio Earth Summit in June
At the moment, I am actually applying to speak as the youth representative to the UN assembly at the Rio Earth Summit in June. My entry is here, http://bit.ly/I9QC6r



It's such an exciting opportunity, to have the chance to address the 192 UN member states at the Earth Summit in person, as Severn Suzuki did in 1992, 20 years ago now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQmz6Rbpnu0

No comments:

Post a Comment